Dried fruit bars
These no-bake bars are good for cyclists or those out on energetic pursuits. They carry well and are packed with energy-giving carbohydrate.
Have your say
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup (45 g/1½ oz) desiccated coconut, toasted
- ½ cup (50 g/1¾ oz) rolled oats
- 150 g (5 oz) chopped dried fruit medley (such as apricots, apples and sultanas)
- 1 cup (125 g/4 oz) sultanas
- ½ cup (60 g/2 oz) slivered almonds
- 1 cup (100 g/4 oz) dried skim milk powder
- ⅓–½ cup (80–125 ml/2¾–4 fl oz) orange juice
1. Grease a 20 × 30 cm (8 × 12 inch) tin.
2. Warm the honey in a small pan on top of the stove, or alternatively in the microwave for 30 seconds, then combine in a large bowl with the toasted coconut, rolled oats, dried fruit, sultanas, almonds and the skim milk powder.
3. Mix well, using your hands if necessary, and add just enough of the orange juice so that the mixture will hold together well. Press the mixture into the tin and pat down firmly. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight if possible). Cut the mixture into bars to serve.