Dry potato and pea curry
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 750 g (1 lb 10 oz) all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz/ 2/3 cup) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
1. Heat the mustard seeds in a large dry saucepan until they start to pop. Add the ghee, onion, garlic and ginger and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
2. Add the turmeric, chilli powder, cumin, garam marsala and potato. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir to coat the potato with the spices.
3. Add 125 ml (4 fl oz/1/2 cup) water, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the potato is just tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the peas, then cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until the potato is cooked and all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the mint and season well. Serve hot.