Eggplant and pesto tart
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 2 sheets ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2 medium long slender eggplant, finely sliced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
1. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Brush two large oven trays lightly with oil. Using a plate as a guide, cut two 24 cm circles from pastry; place on trays.
2. To make Pesto: Place basil, pine nuts, grated parmesan and garlic in food processor bowl. Using pulse action, press button 30 seconds or until almost smooth. With motor running, add oil slowly until combined.
3. Spread pesto onto pastry, leaving a 3 cm border. Arrange eggplant over pesto, brush with extra oil. Fold in outside edge of pastry and pleat to lie flat. Brush pastry edge with beaten egg. Bake for 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Serve warm with a tomato salad.