A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- Thinly slice the eggplant lengthways. Layer the slices in a large colander, sprinkling salt between each layer. Leave for 1 hour to degorge. Rinse and pat the slices dry on both sides with paper towels, then coat lightly with the flour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) and grease a shallow 2.5 litre (10 cups) baking dish.
- Heat 125 ml (½ cup) of the olive oil in a large frying pan. Quickly fry the eggplant slices in batches over high heat until crisp and golden on both sides. Add more olive oil as needed and drain on paper towels as you remove each batch from the pan.
- Make a slightly overlapping layer of eggplant slices over the base of the dish. Season with pepper and a little salt. Spoon 4 tablespoons of passata over the eggplant and scatter some of the basil over the top. Sprinkle with some mozzarella, followed by some Parmesan. Continue layering until you have used up all the ingredients, finishing with a layer of the cheeses.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving.