Yam Makreau Paw
Have your say
- 10 slender eggplants (about 55 g each)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 red Asian shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 boiled egg, diced
- 1 tablespoon fried red Asian shallot flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1–2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to moderately hot 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Place the eggplant in a roasting tin with half the oil. Toss to coat. Bake for 15 minutes, or until tender. Cool.
2. When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, peel away the skin and discard. Cut the flesh into 2 cm pieces.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic and chilli and cook for 2 minutes, or until soft. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and pound into a paste, then mix with the eggplant.
4. To make the dressing, place the palm sugar, soy and fish sauces, lime juice and sesame seeds in a bowl and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
5. Spoon the eggplant salad onto a serving platter and top with the egg, shallot flakes and coriander. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.