Falafel with rocket and tahini yoghurt dressing
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 250 g (9 oz) dried chickpeas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 large handfuls parsley
- 4 large handfuls coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
Tahini yoghurt dressing
- 3 tablespoons Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 125 g (4½ oz) rocket (arugula) leaves, to serve
1. Put the dried chickpeas into a bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by about 12 cm (4½ inches) and leave to soak overnight.
2. Drain the chickpeas well and transfer to a food processor. Process until coarsely ground. Add the remaining falafel ingredients and process until smooth and a vibrant green colour. Leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
3. To make the tahini dressing, put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Season to taste and set aside until required.
4. Using slightly wet hands, shape the falafel mixture into 24 ovals (about the size of an egg). Heat 5 cm (2 inches) vegetable oil in a wok or deep saucepan and fry the falafel in batches for 2–3 minutes, or until dark brown. Drain on paper towel and keep warm in a low oven while cooking the remaining mixture.
5. Arrange the rocket leaves on serving plates, top with the falafel and drizzle over the tahini dressing. Serve immediately.