Chicken and Cannellini Bean Nuggets
One Handed Cooks
Chicken and Cannellini Bean Nuggets Photo: Supplied
There's something about chicken nuggets that kids just love. Homemade chicken nuggets are also easy to make and you can hide a whole range of goodness inside. The beans in this recipe give the nuggets a really soft texture and are a great way to boost your child's fibre and protein intake.
- 1 cup diced sweet potato
- 500g fresh chicken breast
- 400g tin Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (optional for over 12 months)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 - 2 tablespoon(s) melted butter OR 2 eggs (to coat the nuggets)
- 2 cups salt reduced cornflakes, finely crushed OR multigrain breadcrumbs
- Note: You can mix and match your egg/butter/crumb if tailoring to any allergies as required. These can also be made without the crumb.
Bring a pot of water to the boil. Add the sweet potato and cannellini beans and cook for around 5 minutes of until tender. Drain and set aside.
In a food processor, process the onion until finely chopped. Add the chicken breast and process until a mince texture forms. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
Add the sweet potato, beans, spices and herbs to the chicken mixture. Mix until well combined.
Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two baking trays with baking paper. Prepare your dip mixture - one bowl with melted butter OR egg, one bowl with the cornflake crumb OR breadcrumbs.
Take teaspoon amounts of chicken mixture and roll into balls. Dip in the butter/egg and then in the crumbs. Place on the baking tray, flatten to form a nugget, and continue with the remaining mixture.
Lightly brush the nuggets with the remaining butter (optional). Bake for around 20 minutes or until the chicken in cooked through.
The mummy bloggers behind One Handed Cooks have launched an evidence-based magazine, packed-full of nutritious family-friendly recipes. Available in Coles and newsagents nationwide.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe