Julienned Chicken Breast and Vegetables in a Filo Pouch
Submitted by: Rachel Kapsalakis
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 6 tbsp melted unsalted butter (or spray oil for a low fat option)
- 200g tub soft Philadelphia cream cheese
- 4 small, raw chicken breasts, skinned, cut in strips
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- Half a red capsicum, cut into strips
- 8 small mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (can add more flavour depending on taste)
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes (can add more flavour depending on taste)
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Poppy seeds and sesame seeds to decorate pastry
Succulent chicken, mushroom, red capsicum, avocado and cream cheese with flavours of onion, garlic and Cajun seasoning baked in filo pastry. Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and onion flakes really make this dish tasty as the flavours develop inside the pouch as it cooks. You can add more or less of the Cajun, garlic and onion depending on taste. You may find you run out and need extra melted butter, this is fine and will not alter the end outcome.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
Take two sheets of filo pastry. Brush first sheet with melted butter, fold in half from right to left. Repeat with second sheet and place on top of the first folded sheet.
Spoon a quarter of the cream cheese into the centre of the pastry to spread into a 10cm round; top with a quarter of the chicken, capsicum, mushroom and avocado (in that order). Sprinkle with a little Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and onion flakes.
Gather pastry over filling to form a pouch; seal and gently frill out edges. Brush edges with butter and sprinkle with sesame and poppy seeds. Repeat procedure three times.
Bake for around 30 minutes or until pastry is very crisp and golden brown.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe