Scrambled curried tofu with spinach and peas
Scrambled curried tofu with spinach and peas. Photo: Marina Oliphant
This is not a dish that I will have to convince vegans about, but nothing raises the scepticism of a carnivore more than tofu in disguise. This is not, however, a scrambled-egg substitute. It's scrambled tofu. It's a delicious, protein-rich way to start the day.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 400g medium-to-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach
- 2 1/2 tbsp tamari or light soy sauce
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 2 sheets mountain bread, warmed
1. In a frying pan over high heat, add the oil and the garlic and cook for 20 seconds. Add the curry powder and fry for 10 seconds. Break the tofu into the pan with your hands (but not too much; keep some texture). Stir and cook for about 3 minutes until heated through.
2. Add the peas, spinach and tamari and stir through. Cover the pan for 2 minutes to wilt the spinach, then tear in the mint leaves and serve with mountain bread.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe