Fennel and tomato soup
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 500 g (1 lb) fennel bulb
- 4 ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 pitta breads
- 200 g (6½ oz) Camembert cheese, thinly sliced
- seasoned pepper, to sprinkle
1. Halve the fennel bulb, remove the core and any tough outer pieces, and reserve the green tops for garnishing. Chop the remaining bulb. Grate the tomatoes and discard the skin.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, fennel and fennel seeds and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the tomato, stock and tomato paste to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the lemon juice. Serve sprinkled with sprigs of reserved fennel top and the Camembert Wedges.
3. To make Camembert Wedges: Split the pitta breads open and top one half with the Camembert. Sprinkle with a little seasoned pepper. Replace the tops, pressing firmly to stick them together, and cook under a hot grill until browned. Cut into wedges while still hot and serve immediately.