Festive asparagus loaf
Have your say
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch asparagus
1. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Stir-fry onion until soft.
2. Place onion, cottage cheese, eggs, salt and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Steam or microwave asparagus until tender. Drain well.
4. Spoon one-third of mixture into a lightly greased 10 × 26 cm loaf tin. Arrange one-third of asparagus over mixture. Repeat with another cottage cheese layer, arrange remaining one-third of asparagus over second layer of cottage cheese, then add the final cottage cheese layer.
5. Bake at 180°C for 50–55 minutes or until top is lightly browned and firm.
6. Serve* warm topped with the remaining asparagus spears.