A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1.5 kg (3 lb) large ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 500 g (1 lb) fettucine
1. Score a cross in the base of each tomato. Cover with boiling water and leave for about 2 minutes. Drain the tomatoes and allow them to cool. Peel the skin in a downwards motion, away from the cross, and discard the skin. To remove the seeds, cut the tomatoes in half horizontally and use a spoon to scoop them out. Chop the tomatoes roughly.
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over low heat, or until soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomato and carrot; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Cool the mixture slightly and place in a food processor. Process briefly until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. Add all of the chopped herbs and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
4. While the sauce is cooking, add the fettucine to a large pan of rapidly boiling water, and cook until just tender. Drain and return to the pan. Add the sauce to the pasta and toss well.