Fish burgers and wedges
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) skinless flake fillets
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 350 g (12 oz) potatoes, cooked and mashed
- plain (all-purpose) flour, for dusting
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns, split into halves lettuce leaves
- 2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, sliced
- tartare sauce, for serving
Crunchy potato wedges
- 6 potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus extra, for deep-frying
- ½ teaspoon chicken salt
- 25 g (¼ cup) dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chopped rosemary
- ling, redfish, warehou
1. Put the fish fillets in a frying pan and add enough water so that the fish is just covered. Slowly heat the water, making sure it doesn't come to the boil. Cover with a lid and cook over low heat until the fish is just cooked through. Drain the fish on crumpled paper towels, then transfer to a bowl and flake the flesh with a fork, removing any bones.
2. Add the parsley, dill, lemon juice, capers, gherkins and potato to the bowl with the fish, then season with freshly ground black pepper and some salt, and mix well. Divide the mixture into four and shape each portion into a patty. Lightly dust the patties with flour, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour—this will help them stick together during cooking.
3. While the patties are resting, make the wedges. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).Wash the potatoes, then cut them into wedges, leaving the skin on. Pat the potato wedges dry with paper towels and then toss with the oil so they are all covered. Combine the chicken salt, breadcrumbs, chives, celery salt, garlic powder and rosemary, and then toss with the wedges. Spread the wedges out onto greased baking trays and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden.
4. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add the fish patties and cook for 5–6 minutes on each side, or until well browned and cooked through.
5. Grill the buns and butter them if you wish. On each base, put some lettuce, tomato, a fish patty and some tartare sauce. Top with the other half of the bun and serve with the hot potato wedges.