Fish on eggplant (aubergine) with roasted red pepper (capsicum) aioli
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Fish on eggplant
Have your say
- 8 thick slices of large eggplant (aubergine)
- 1 large red pepper (capsicum)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 × 200 g (6 1/2 oz) white fish fillets (eg. snapper, monkfish, perch, cod), each cut diagonally into 6 pieces
1. Rub some salt into each cut side of the eggplant, place on a plate and set aside for 20 minutes. Rinse off the salt and pat the eggplant dry with paper towels. Set aside.
2. Cut the red pepper into large flattish pieces. Cook, skin-side-up, under a hot grill until the skin blackens and blisters. Cool in a plastic bag, then peel and discard the seeds and membrane. Slice into strips. Reserve half for the aioli.
3. For the roasted red pepper aioli, mix the garlic, egg yolk and juice in a food processor or blender until smooth. With the motor running, pour in half the olive oil in a thin steady stream, blending until the aioli thickens. Add the reserved red pepper and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and season, to taste. Stir in the parsley, cover and refrigerate.
4. Heat a grill to high. Brush the eggplant with half the oil and grill on both sides until brown and tender.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and cook the fish for 1-2 minutes each side, or until the fish flakes when tested in the thickest part. Do not overcook or the fish will toughen.
6. To serve, place the eggplant on a plate and top with some sliced roasted pepper. Arrange 3 pieces of fish over the pepper and spoon some aioli over the top.