Five down on the farm
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 8 × 25 cm (3 × 10 inch) Madeira cake
- 20 cm (8 inch) Madeira ring cake
- 1½ quantities buttercream
- caramel and green food colourings
- blue cake decorating gel
- 100 g (3½ oz) dark or milk
- chocolate melts (buttons)
- 25 × 50 cm (10 × 20 inch) cake board ruler
- plastic farm animals
1. Cut the bar cake in half. Cut a piece from the ring cake that is almost a quarter of the ring. Next, square off this piece by neatly cutting off the rounded edges. Arrange the pieces on the cake board in the shape of a five, using the smaller offcuts to lengthen the bar of the number. Join each edge with a little buttercream.
2. Place ¾ cup of the buttercream in a small bowl and tint light brown for the ground cover. Tint the remaining buttercream light green for the grass.
3. Mark out three sections for the paddocks and spread green buttercream over the top and bottom sections and brown over the middle section. Make a pond by piping blue food gel onto one of the green paddocks.
4. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, then remove from the heat. Sit the bowl over the pan, making sure the base of the bowl does not sit in the water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted. Spoon the chocolate into a piping bag and create a mud bath for the pigs by piping some of the chocolate into the middle paddock.
5. Pipe the remaining chocolate onto a sheet of non-stick baking paper that has been placed on an oiled baking tray. Pipe about 30 fences 2.5 cm (1 inch) high and 5 cm (2 inches) wide (this will allow for any breakages). When set, carefully stick around the edge of the cake. Decorate the cake with farm animals.