Snow peas are great raw in salads. When cooked, they turn a brilliant green as the aroma and flavour intensify. Being young and tender, they require only a flash of heat to wilt them. Add to a stir-fry, top a spring soup with them, or simply place the hot stir-fry atop a bed of tendrils and allow the heat to soften the greens.
Have your say
- 1 tsp roasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger root, sliced finely
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 500g greens (snow pea shoots, bok choy or mustard greens or a combination of all)
- a pinch of Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, cut into 2cm batons
Heat the wok, then add the oil. Add the ginger and mushrooms and stir on high heat for a minute.
Stir in the greens. Add the five-spice powder, soy sauce and spring onions. Fry for a couple of minutes then serve piping hot.
This recipe is featured in the book, Vegetarian which is available now in all good bookstores RRP $34.95. To order direct call 1300 656 059 or visit www.smh.com.au/store