Freekah is wheat picked young and green. It is roasted and sold as whole grain or cracked grain. Both are very nutritious, but the whole grain takes longer to cook.
Have your say
- 1 cup (250 g/8 oz) cracked freekah
- 2 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (25 g/¾ oz) chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup (25 g/¾ oz) chopped fresh coriander
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- ½ Cup (45 g/1½ oz) wheatgerm
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
1. In a pan, combine the freekah with 2 cups (500 ml/16 fl oz) water and ½ teaspoon salt and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain, transfer to a bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
2. Grate the zucchini and squeeze out any moisture. Heat half the oil and cook the onion for 3 minutes, then mix into the freekah with the remaining ingredients and some pepper. Form 6 patties and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and cook the patties for 10 minutes, or until brown. Serve in a toasted bun with salad.