'Gin & Juice': Watermelon and mint granita, gin and lime ice-cream, ginger biscuit
Incredibly refreshing on a hot day, this alcohol-infused summer treat will have partygoers lining up for more. The granita and ice-cream need to freeze overnight, so begin making this recipe the day before serving.
Gin & Juice: Watermelon and mint granita, gin and lime ice-cream, ginger biscuit. Photo: Kristoffer Paulsen
Have your say
190g icing sugar
200g fresh ginger, peeled and blitzed in food processor (or grated very finely)
470g plain flour
Gin and lime ice-cream
20 juniper berries, crushed
6 egg yolks
1 litre cream
300ml watermelon juice (watermelons peeled and blitzed)
60g castor sugar
4ml mint essence
mint leaves, to serve
1. For the ginger biscuit, preheat oven to 180C.
2. Cream the butter and icing sugar until pale. Add eggs, fresh ginger and salt until well combined. Gradually add plain flour to form a dough
3. Roll out the dough between greaseproof paper, about 0.5-1 centimetre thickness. Place the dough on a lined baking tray and cook until golden, about 12 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Crumble or blitz briefly in a food processor to a crumb consistency.
5. For the ice-cream,make a syrup by adding sugar, water and crushed juniper berries to a medium saucepan and heat until boiling, stirring gently throughout to ensure sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat once it reaches the boil.
6. Slowly add the syrup and gin to the egg yolks and whisk together until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Allow mix to cool.
7. Whip cream until firm peaks form. Fold whipped cream gently through the cold egg mixture until just combined. A heavy hand at this point will knock the air out of the mixture, resulting in a dense ice-cream rather than a light ice-cream.
8. Carefully pour mix in to a freezer-proof container and freeze overnight.
9. For the granita, blend all ingredients together. Pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze overnight.
10. Once frozen, use a fork to scrape the frozen watermelon mix into granita. This can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer until required.
11. Using a glass tumbler to serve, layer one large scoop of ice-cream, a sprinkling of ginger biscuit crumb and a large spoonful or two of the watermelon granita. Garnish with some small mint leaves and serve immediately.