A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ cup liquid glucose
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1. Line the base and sides of a 28 × 18 cm shallow oblong tin with foil. Brush foil with melted butter or oil.
2. Combine sugar, glucose, syrup and water in a large, heavy-based pan. Stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar has completely dissolved. Brush sugar crystals from sides of pan with a wet pastry brush. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium and boil without stirring for 6–8 minutes or until mixture just starts to turn a deep golden colour. Remove from heat immediately.
3. Add soda quickly to sugar mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir gently until mixture bubbles and increases in volume and no soda is visible on the surface. Over-stirring will cause the mixture to deflate.
4. Pour gently into tin and leave to set for 1½ hours. Remove from tin, peel away foil and break into pieces. Store honeycomb in an airtight container between layers of greaseproof paper.