Grilled eggplant with miso
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 3 eggplants, cut into 2 cm round slices
- oil, for brushing
- ¼ cup (75 g) white miso
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- sesame seeds and grated daikon, to garnish
- ¼ cup (60 ml) light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt and leave in a colander for 30 minutes. Rinse under running water and pat dry with paper towels. Brush the eggplant slices with oil and cook under a hot grill for 7 minutes on each side, or until golden and the eggplant is tender.
2. Place the miso, mirin, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl and mix together.
3. Reduce the grill to low. Brush one side of the eggplant with the miso mixture and grill for 1–2 minutes, or until the mixture is just dry, being careful not to burn the mixture.
4. To make the dressing, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, mirin and sugar in a small bowl. Place the eggplant in a serving dish, pour on the dressing and garnish with the sesame seeds and grated daikon.