Iced vovo cupcakes
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 185 g (6½ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 170 g (6 oz/¾ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 125 g (4½ oz/1 cup) self-raising flour
- 30 g (1 oz/¼ cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) milk
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
Pink icing (frosting)
- 125 g (4½ oz/1 cup) icing (confectioners') sugar, sifted
- 10 g (¼ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- pink food colouring
- 100 g (3⅔ oz/⅓ cup) strawberry jam, sieved
- 30 g (1 oz/⅓ cup) desiccated coconut, to sprinkle
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line 12 standard muffin holes with paper cases.
2. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together with electric beaters until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flours together and fold in alternately with the milk.Gently stir through the jam, being careful not to overmix it. You want it to swirl through.
3. Divide the mixture evenly among the cases. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a cake. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
4. To make the pink icing, place the icing sugar and butter in a bowl and add enough hot water to make a spreadable consistency. Add a just few drops of food colouring to make a pale pink icing. Spread the icing over the cakes. Place the sieved jam in a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm (½ inch) plain nozzle. Pipe the jam down the centre of each cake, then sprinkle with the coconut.