Individual bread and butter puddings
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 8 slices fruit bread
- softened butter, for spreading
- ½ cup (60 g) grated dark chocolate
- ⅓ cup (60 g) soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cream
- ground cinnamon, to sprinkle
- grated dark chocolate, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to moderately hot 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Lightly grease four round l¼ cup (315 ml) ramekins.
2. Remove the crusts from the bread and flatten with a rolling pin. Brush one side of the bread slices with butter and cut into quarters to give four squares. Arrange four of the squares in the base of each dish, overlapping to fit, and sprinkle with the combined chocolate and sugar. Repeat with the remaining bread to give two layers.
3. Place the egg, milk and cream in a jug and mix together. Carefully pour the mixture over the bread and sprinkle a little cinnamon on the top. Place on a baking tray and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Sprinkle with grated chocolate, then leave for 1 minute before serving warm with cream or ice cream.