A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 450 g packet Madeira cake
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Cointreau
- ¼ cup (60 ml) brandy
- 300 ml thick cream
- 3 teaspoons icing sugar, sifted
- ½ cup (80 g) blanched almonds, roasted, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (70 g) hazelnuts, roasted, roughly chopped
- 150 g good-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
1. Cut the cake into 5 mm slices. Lightly grease six 150 ml ramekins and line with plastic wrap, leaving enough to hang over the sides. Press the pieces of the cake into the ramekins, overlapping to cover the base and sides. Combine the Cointreau and brandy in a bowl. Brush the cake with half the Cointreau mixture.
2. Place the cream and icing sugar in a bowl, and, using electric beaters, beat until firm and stiff. Fold in the nuts, chocolate and 1½ teaspoons Cointreau mixture. The mixture will be quite stiff.
3. Spoon the mixture into each ramekin and smooth over the surface. Cover with the overhanging plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. To serve, use the plastic wrap to life the zucotto out of the ramekins, turn upside-down onto serving plates and brush with the remaining Cointreau mixture.