A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 165 g (5¾ oz/1⅓ cups) self-raising flour
- 30 g (1 oz/¼ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 220 g (7¾ oz/1 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 170 ml (5½ fl oz/⅔ cup) milk
- 125 g (4½ oz/½ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 250 g (9 oz/2 cups) icing (confectioners') sugar, sifted
- 60 g (2¼ oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- orange cachous, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Line 12 standard muffin holes with paper cases.
2. Sift the flour and cocoa into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. Add the egg, milk, melted butter and orange zest and beat with electric beaters for 2 minutes, or until well combined and smooth.
3. Divide the mixture evenly among the cases. Bake for 18–20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a cake. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
4. To make the orange buttercream, place 125 g (4½ oz/1 cup) of the icing sugar, the butter, zest and orange juice in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric beaters until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining icing sugar and beat until the cream is thick.
5. Decorate each cake with buttercream and orange cachous.