Mexican restaurants now offer a guacamole service at your table, crushing the avocado in a traditional molcajete or mortar and mixing it with condiments just before you eat it. Here's a version for you to try at home. Set everything up at the table and get pounding for the freshest guac you've ever had.
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and stoned
- 1 tbsp finely diced red onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 to 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapenos, chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- * Mexican ingredients and molcahetes are available from fireworksfoods.com.au and aztecmexican.com.au.
Set out the mortar and pestle, avocados and little bowls of onion, tomato, lime, jalapenos, coriander, sea salt and pepper on a tray, ready for mixing.
Spoon out the avocado flesh and roughly chop it into the mortar.
Lightly crush with the pestle, then add the remaining ingredients to your own taste, working them in with the pestle.
Serve while still lightly chunky.
Got a favourite recipe? Share your recipe