Lentil and mushroom bake
Have your say
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1¼ cups Sanitarium Red Lentils, washed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil, extra
- 250 g flat mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed, extra
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil, extra
- ½ teaspoon salt, extra
- 2 slices wholemeal bread, crumbed
- 2 teaspoons margarine, melted
1. Heat oil in frying pan. Stir-fry onion, garlic, carrot and celery until soft.
2. Add water, Red Lentils, soy sauce, dried basil and salt. Bring mixture to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25–30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until Red Lentils are tender. Set aside.
3. To make Mushroom Filling: Heat extra oil in frying pan. Stir-fry mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add extra garlic, parsley, extra basil and salt. Mix well. Drain off any excess liquid.
4. Place half lentil mixture into lightly greased shallow casserole dish. Spread Mushroom Filling over top. Cover with the remaining lentil mixture.
5. Sprinkle with the combined Topping ingredients; bake at 190°C for 20–25 minutes or until top is golden.
6. Serve* sprinkled with extra chopped parsley.