Lime and prawn salad
Young lemon leaves can be used in place of the makrut (kaffir lime) leaves if they are not available.
Have your say
- 16 large raw prawns (shrimp), peeled and deveined, tails intact
- 200 g (7 oz) baby green beans
- 2 Lebanese (short) cucumbers, sliced
- 4 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded makrut (kaffir lime) leaves
- 15 g (1/2 oz/1/4 cup) flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons shredded lime zest
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar or soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1–2 teaspoons sweet chilli sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
1. Put the prawns and beans in a steamer and cover with a lid. Sit the steamer over a wok or saucepan of boiling water and steam for 6 minutes. Remove from the steamer and refresh the beans in cold water. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
2. To make the dressing, whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl.
3. Combine the prawns, beans, cucumber, spring onion, lime leaves and flaked coconut in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss gently to coat. Transfer the salad to a large serving bowl and garnish with the shredded lime zest.