Mango coconut muffins
At this time of year, mangoes are cheap and plentiful. Take advantage of over ripe mangoes and put them to good use in this summery muffin. Perfect for afternoon tea or as a special lunch box treat. Can be frozen.
Photo: Kristy Komadina
Have your say
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup moist coconut flakes (or desiccated coconut)
- 2 eggs
- 125ml milk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Greek yoghurt
- zest and juice from 1 lime
- 125g butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- extra coconut to sprinkle on top
Preheat an oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cups.
In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, ground ginger, coconut flakes and lime zest.
In a jug combine the eggs, milk, yoghurt, lime juice and melted butter, whisking until homogeneous.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring gently to combine. Spoon half of the batter into the muffin cups. Top with 3/4 of the diced mango then the rest of the muffin batter. Top each muffin with the remaining mango and a sprinkling of extra shredded coconut.
Bake for 20-22 minutes, until golden on top and cooked all the way through.
Kristy is a mother of three who loves feeding her family wholesome, nutritious and above all delicious food. She has her own food blog called The Life She Made where she posts family style recipes and talks about life as a stay at home mother.