Marshmallow cherry blondies
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 125 g (4½ oz/½ cup) unsalted butter
- 200 g (7 oz) white chocolate, chopped
- 115 g (4 oz/½ cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 210 g (7½ oz/1 cup) red glacé (candied) cherries, chopped
- 155 g (5½ oz/1¼ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 120 g (4¼ oz/1⅓ cups) marshmallows, halved horizontally
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly grease a 23 cm (9 inch) square cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper, extending the paper over two opposite sides for easy removal later.
2. Place the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Half-fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Place the bowl over the saucepan, ensuring the bowl does not touch the water. Stir occasionally until the butter and chocolate are melted and smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the caster sugar to the bowl and whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla, orange zest and cherries. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in until just combined. Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the top starts to brown too quickly, cover lightly with a sheet of foil. When cooked, cool in the tin before lifting out, using the paper as handles.
4. Use a 3 cm (1¼ inch) cutter to cut the blondies into rounds. Preheat the grill (broiler) to medium–high. Place half a marshmallow on each round. Grill for 1–2 minutes, or until golden and melted.