Mini corn dogs
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 8 large frankfurts
- 8 wooden skewers
- cornflour, for dusting
- oil, for deep-frying
- tomato sauce, for dipping
- 1¾ cups (220 g/7 oz) self-raising flour
- ¼ cup (35 g/1¼ oz) cornmeal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon oil
1. Cut the frankfurts in half crossways. Cut 8 wooden skewers in half and insert one half through each frankfurt, leaving some of the skewer sticking out for a handle. Dust the frankfurts with a little cornflour.
2. To make the batter, sift the flour into a large bowl, stir in the cornmeal and make a well in the centre. Gradually add the combined egg, oil and 1½ cups (375 ml/12 fl oz) water, whisking to make a smooth, lump-free batter.
3. Fill a deep heavy-based pan one third full of oil and heat to 180°C (350°F). The oil is ready when a cube of bread dropped into the oil turns golden brown in 15 seconds. Dip the frankfurts into the batter a few at a time; drain off the excess batter. Using tongs, gently lower the frankfurts into the oil. Cook over medium-high heat for 1–2 minutes, or until golden and crisp and heated through. Carefully remove from the oil. Drain on crumpled paper towels and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining frankfurts. Serve with tomato sauce.