Mini shepherd's pies
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) minced (ground) steak
- 2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) salt-reduced beef stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 4 all-purpose potatoes, cooked
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 15 g (1/2 oz) unsalted butter
- 135 g (4 3/4 oz/1 cup) frozen mixed vegetables (peas, beans, carrots), thawed
- 60 g (2 1/4 oz/1/2 cup) grated cheese
- 3 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the meat and brown, breaking the meat up with a spoon.
2. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. Blend in the stock and parsley. Simmer, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
4. Mash the potatoes well. Add the milk and butter and beat until smooth, adding more of each if needed.
5. Spoon the meat mixture into four 200 ml (7 fl oz) ovenproof bowls.
6. Top with the mixed vegetables and spread the mashed potato over the top.
7. Mix together the cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over each pie. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the tops are golden.