Moroccan rice and meat balls
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 200 g short-grain rice
- 500 g finely minced lamb or beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 150 g butter or ghee
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground saffron
- ground pepper
- 2 cups water or light stock
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaved parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Using a fork, mix rice with finely minced lamb, add cinnamon, paprika and coriander and shape the mixture into about twenty even-sized small balls.
2. Melt butter or ghee in a heavy-based deep pan.
3. Brown the balls in the butter, a panful at a time, turning frequently.
4. When all balls are browned, add onions, saffron and pepper.
5. Pour in the water or stock, cover and cook over medium heat for about 40 minutes, or until cooked through, stirring occasionally.
6. Add flat-leaved parsley and lemon juice and simmer for a few minutes. Serve Moroccan Rice and Meat Balls with a green vegetable or salad.