Munchy potato skins and dips
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1.5 kg floury or all-purpose potatoes, unpeeled
- oil, for deep-frying
Choose one of the dips: red pesto dip
- 300 g sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 2–3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2–3 drops Tabasco
1. Preheat the oven to hot 210°C (415°F/Gas 6–7). Scrub the potatoes to remove any dirt, pat dry with paper towels and prick twice with a fork. Place on a baking tray and bake for 1 hour, turning once, until the skins are crisp and the flesh is soft. Set aside for 1 hour to cool.
2. To make the red pesto dip, combine the sour cream, pesto, lemon juice and most of the chives. Season with salt and black pepper and sprinkle over the remaining chives.
3. To make the guacamole, mash the avocados in a bowl, then mix in all the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. When the potatoes are cool, cut in half and scoop out the flesh, leaving 1 cm of potato in the skin. Cut each half into three wedges.
5. Fill a deep heavy-based pan a third full of oil and heat to 180°C (350°F) (a cube of bread dropped in the oil will brown in 15 seconds). Cook the potato skins in batches for 2–3 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve with your choice of dip.