Mushroom barley soup
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 10 g dried cep or porcini mushrooms, broken up
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 large stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 500 g flat mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- ⅔ cup (140 g) barley
- ½ cup (15 g) finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- sour cream, optional
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, extra, to garnish
1. Soak the ceps in 1 cup (250 ml) boiling water for 15 minutes, then strain, reserving the ceps and liquid. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot, and cook for 4–5 minutes, or until softened.
2. Add the flat mushrooms, garlic and ceps to the pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened. Add the stock, 2 cups (500 ml) water, cep liquid and barley. Cook for 1 hour, or until the barley is cooked and the soup has thickened slightly. Stir in the parsley and season.
3. Top with a dollop of sour cream and extra parsley, if desired.