Mussels with lemon grass, basil and wine
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1 kg (2 lb) small black mussels
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stems lemon grass, white part only, sliced
- 1–2 fresh red chillies, seeded, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml/8 fl oz) white wine or water
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup (50 g/1¾ oz) fresh Thai basil leaves, roughly chopped
1. Scrub the mussels with a stiff brush and pull out the hairy beards. Discard any broken mussels, or open ones that don't close when tapped on the bench. Rinse well.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, garlic, lemon grass and chilli, and cook for 4 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and fish sauce and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add the mussels to the pan and toss well. Cover, increase the heat and cook for 4–5 minutes, or until the mussels open. Discard any unopened mussels. Add the basil; toss and serve with rice.