Orange and lemon asparagus salad
Try this light dish warm in a pool of garlicky lemon vinaigrette, or else serve it cooled, smothered in this citrusy chive marinade.
Photo: Eddie Jim
Have your say
- 1/2 kg fresh asparagus, ends snapped off
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 cup shallots, finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp coriander or mint, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the salt and drop in the asparagus. Boil until the asparagus is bright green and crisp, around 2 to 4 minutes depending on the size. Drain.
To make the dressing, heat the olive oil in a small pan. Add the garlic, ginger and shallots and saute on a low heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onion becomes fragrant.
Stir in the soy sauce, orange and lemon juice and reduce by a third on
a medium heat.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the spring onions, coriander and toasted sesame seeds.
Pour the sauce over the drained asparagus and toss.