Orange sponge cake with hundreds and thousands
A dessert which is pleasing on the eye and on the palate.
Photo: Jennifer Soo
Have your say
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 5 free-range eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
- 1 cup orange juice, strained
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind, extra
- ¼ cup orange juice, strained
- Hundreds and thousands, to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease an 18cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the sugar, eggs and yolks and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Stir in the flour, orange rind and juice.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes, or until lightly golden, spongy to touch and a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing: Combine the icing sugar, butter, rind and juice in a small bowl. Mix well. When the sponge is cool, drizzle over the icing and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands.