Serve with ham or boiled beef.
Have your say
- 500 g split peas, Soaked overnight and drained
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 30 g butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
1. Brush a 4-cup capacity ovenproof dish with melted butter or oil.
2. Place peas, onion and rosemary sprig into a large pan. Cover peas with water. Place lid on saucepan and cook over a gentle heat 1 hour or until the peas are starting to split.
3. Drain peas in a strainer or colander. Discard rosemary. Mash peas with potato masher. Add eggs, butter, pepper, salt and vinegar. Blend until smooth.
4. Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Pour pudding mixture into dish and stand in a bain marie. Bake for 30–45 minutes or until pudding sets. Unmould to serve. Alternatively, pour into 1.5 litre pudding steamer and steam for 1 hour.