Penne with mushrooms and oregano
Soup and pasta are two of the most satisfyingly simple meals around. You don't need many ingredients to whip up a delicious pasta - here I've used the staples of cream, white wine, onion and herbs and tossed in some mushrooms; field or button, whatever you have at hand. Crusty bread on the side is a must.
Have your say
Super-quick dinner: Penne with mushrooms. Photo: Jennifer Soo
400g penne pasta
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
400g field or button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup cream
2 tsp chopped oregano or parsley
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped chives for garnish (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente.
2. While the pasta is cooking, in another large saucepan heat the butter and olive oil, add the onion and cook until soft.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the wine and simmer until the liquid has been reduced by half.
4. Stir in the cream and bring to the boil. Add the herbs, switch off the heat and season to taste.
5. Drain the pasta, tip it into the mushroom pan and toss it all together.
Serve garnished with chopped chives (optional).