Pesto bocconcini tarts
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 6 small egg tomatoes
- 6 bocconcini
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (30 g/1 oz) basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup (25 g/¾ oz) grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup (60 ml/2 fl oz) olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to moderately hot 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Cut the egg tomatoes in half lengthways and place them cut-side-up on a non-stick baking tray. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender; remove and set aside to cool slightly.
2. To make Pesto: Place the basil leaves, chopped garlic, pine nuts and grated Parmesan in a food processor. Process until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Gradually add the olive oil with the motor running. Process until combined.
3. Cut each bocconcini in half. Cut the sheet of pastry into quarters. Place a spoonful of pesto in the centre of each pastry square and spread with the back of a spoon, leaving a 2 cm (¾ inch) border.
4. Arrange 3 tomato halves and 3 bocconcini halves decoratively on top of the pesto. Brush the border lightly with the beaten egg. Bake on a non-stick baking tray for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden and the bocconcini is melted.