Pineapple, apricot and ginger tarte tatin
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 60 g butter
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 60 g butter
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 450 g can pineapple rings, drained
- 1 glacé apricot, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped glacé ginger
1. Preheat oven to moderately hot 210°C/190°C gas. Using electric beaters, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add egg yolks, beat until smooth. Using a metal spoon, fold in flour. Turn mixture onto lightly floured surface; knead gently until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 20 minutes.
2. To make Caramel: Melt butter and sugar in a small pan over low heat until butter has melted. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring for 2 minutes or until smooth, thick and golden. Remove from heat, cool briefly and stir in cream. (If lumps form, warm the mixture gently.) Pour caramel into the base of a 20 cm round cake tin.
3. Arrange pineapple over caramel. Top with glacé apricot and ginger. Roll out pastry to a 24 cm round and place over pineapple, tucking pastry edge into pan. Stand the pan on an oven tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden. Remove from oven; run the blade of a knife around edge of tin to loosen. Carefully turn out and serve immediately.