Plum and star anise jam
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 1 kg (2 lb 4 oz) firm plums, quartered
- 1 kg (2 lb 4 oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) lemon juice
- 3 star anise
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
1. In a heavy-based saucepan, put the plums, sugar, lemon juice, 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) of water, star anise, and ground ginger.
2. Bring the ingredients in the saucepan to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 35–40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Place a saucer in the freezer to chill. Test the setting consistency of the jam by placing a spoonful onto the chilled saucer. Cool slightly and run your finger through the jam, if it crinkles it is ready.
4. Remove any froth from the surface of the jam and remove the whole star anise with a metal spoon. Pour the jam into prepared hot sterilized jars and seal.