Poached eggs with garlic yoghurt dressing and spinach
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 300 g (10½ oz) baby English spinach leaves
- 30 g (1 oz) butter, chopped
- herbed salt, to taste
- 4 tomatoes , halved
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 8 eggs 1 round loaf of light rye bread, cut into 8 thick slices
- Garlic yoghurt dressing
- 125 g (4½ oz/½ cup) sheep's milk yoghurt
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
1. Mix together the garlic yoghurt dressing ingredients and set aside.
2. Wash the spinach and place in a large saucepan with just a little water left clinging to the leaves. Cover and cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted. Add the butter and season with herbed salt. Set aside and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, cook the tomatoes under a hot grill (broiler) for 3-5 minutes.
4. Fill a frying pan three-quarters full of cold water and add the vinegar and some salt to stop the egg whites spreading. Bring to a gentle simmer. Gently break the eggs one by one into a small bowl, then carefully slide each one into the water. Reduce the heat so that the water barely moves. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the eggs are just set. Remove with a slotted spatula and allow to drain.
5. Meanwhile, toast the bread. Top each slice with the spinach, an egg and some dressing. Serve with the tomato halves.