Pork, prawn and vermicelli salad in lettuce cups
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
Pork prawn and vermicelli salad in lettuce cups
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 100 g dried rice vermicelli
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced and green ends reserved for garnish
- 150 g pork mince
- 500 g raw prawns, peeled, deveined and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown bean sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chicken stock
- 12 iceberg lettuce leaves, trimmed into cups
1. Fill a deep, heavy-based saucepan one-third full of oil and heat to 170°C (325°F), or until a cube of bread browns in 20 seconds. Add the vermicelli in batches and deepfry until puffed up but not browned— this will only take a few seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on crumpled paper towels.
2. Heat the peanut oil in a wok over high heat and swirl to coat the side. Add the garlic, ginger and spring onion, and stir-fry for 1 minute, being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add the pork mince to the wok, breaking up the lumps, and cook for a further 4 minutes. Add the prawns and stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until they begin to change colour.
4. Add the Chinese rice wine, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, brown bean sauce, sugar, chicken stock and ½ teaspoon salt and stir until combined. Cook over high heat for 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens slightly. Divide the noodles among the lettuce cups, top with the pork and prawn mixture and garnish with the reserved spring onion. Serve immediately.