Potato, feta and roast garlic pasties
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 300 g (10½ oz) all-purpose potatoes (such as pontiacs), unpeeled
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 80 g (2¾ oz) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest sea salt
- 2 quantities shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly grease a baking tray.
2. Boil the potatoes in their skins for 15 minutes, or until just cooked. Drain, allow to cool, then peel and cut into 1 cm (½ inch) pieces.
3. Put the garlic, rosemary and 1 tablespoon of the oil onto a piece of foil, then twist the edges together to make a secure package. Place on the baking tray and roast for 30 minutes. Allow to cool, then squeeze the garlic from its skin and roughly chop.
4. Add the garlic to the potato, along with the rosemary and any oil left in the foil package. Add the remaining oil, the feta and lemon zest. Gently toss together to combine well. Season well with freshly ground black pepper and a little sea salt.
5. Put 2 tablespoons of filling on one half of a pastry round. Combine the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl and lightly brush the unfilled half of the pastry with the egg mix. Fold over the pastry to enclose the filling, pressing gently to seal well. Crimp the edge with your fingers, or gently press with the tines of a fork. Repeat with the remaining filling and pastry rounds.
6. Place the pasties onto the tray, brush the tops with the remaining egg mix, then put the tray in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Remove and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden. Allow the pasties to cool a little before serving, as the filling will be steaming hot.