Prawn burgers with cocktail sauce
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 12 raw large prawns
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cups (120 g/4 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons chilli sauce
- plain flour, for dusting
- olive oil, for frying
- 1/3 cup (80 g/2 3/4oz) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- chilli sauce, to taste, extra
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, extra
- 4 hamburger buns, split into halves
- rocket leaves
- 1 firm ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
1. Peel the prawns and pull out the dark vein from each prawn back, starting at the head end. Flatten slightly to open out. Mix with the juice.
2. Combine the sesame seeds, breadcrumbs and coriander on a sheet of greaseproof paper. Combine the egg and chilli sauce in a bowl. Dust the prawns in the flour and shake off the excess. Dip in the egg mixture, then press firmly in breadcrumbs. Place on a tray covered with baking paper. Cover and chill for 10 minutes.
3. Heat a little oil in a frying pan. Cook the prawns in batches over medium heat 2-3 minutes each side, or until crisp and golden brown. Remove and drain on crumpled paper towels.
4. Combine the mayonnaise, spring onion, tomato and Worcestershire sauces, extra chilli sauce and extra lemon juice in a bowl.
5. Grill the buns and butter if you wish. On each base, put some rocket and avocado. Sprinkle with cracked pepper. Add prawns, a dollop of the cocktail sauce and finally, the bun top.