Racing at eight
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- two 20 cm (8 inch) Madeira ring cakes
- 2 quantities buttercream
- green food colouring
- 2 liquorice metre straps
- red liquorice laces
- tiny bear biscuits
- jelly babies
- chocolate or toy cars
- flags or liquorice allsorts and toothpicks
- 30 × 50 cm (12 × 20 inch) cake board ruler
1. Cut a small slice off each cake as shown so that they will sit flat against each other. Arrange the cakes on the cake board in the figure eight, joining each edge with a little buttercream. Trim to neaten the edges and the top of the cake. Tint the buttercream green, then spread evenly over the cake.
2. Use black liquorice to mark out the lanes of the track and add a strip across the finish line. Cut the red liquorice into short strips about 2.5 cm (1 inch) long (you will need about 35). Place the red strips in a line running down the centre of each lane. Place bear biscuits and jelly babies at the edges of the track for the cheering crowd. Place cars on the track and insert flags (paper or made from toothpicks and liquorice allsort slices) at the finish line and other points around the track.