Rainbow Vegetable Lasagne with Cheat’s Bechemel
This gluten-free, low-carb lasagna is easy to whip together and a great way to get some more vegetables onto your family's plates. This quick cheat's cheese sauce will make you never want to do it the old way again!
Rainbow Lasagne with Cheat’s Bechemel Photo: Danielle Colley
1 batch basic Bolognaise sauce (recipe here)
1 small sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 0.5cm thick rounds
1 small eggplant, cut into 0.5cm rounds
3 small zucchini, topped and tailed and sliced into 0.5cm wide lengths
1 cup milk
1 bay leaf
olive oil spray, olive oil
350g ricotta cheese
a pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper
120g cheese, Cheddar or Colby, grated.
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Place your sliced vegetables in a single layer on baking paper. Spray lightly with olive spray or give a light drizzle.
3. Pop into the oven and cook until soft but not browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Turn oven up to 200 degrees celsius.
5. Meanwhile, place your milk with the bay leaf into a saucepan on a medium heat. Add your ricotta and break it up, smooshing it with the milk. It won’t be super smooth, so a bit lumpy is okay.
6. Add your salt, pepper and nutmeg.
7. When it’s all combined, crack your egg in and stir well. Remove from heat.
8. In a 30 x 30cm square baking dish, or equivalent, add one ladle full of the Bolognaise sauce, evenly distributing it across the whole tray.
9. Place a layer of sweet potato onto the Bolognaise, and top with one more ladle of sauce. Spread it evenly then add a later of eggplant. Repeat with the remaining sauce before topping with your final layer of zucchini.
10. Smear your ricotta sauce over the whole lot and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
11. Throw it into the oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
12. Serve with a big fresh salad, and crusty bread.