Red grape snow cones
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 800 g-1 kg (1 lb 12 oz-2 lb 4 oz) seedless, full-flavoured red grapes
- 115 g (4 oz/1/2 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rosewater (optional)
- 3 standard ice trays (about 6 cups) ice cubes
1. Blend the grapes in a food processor for 1-2 minutes. Pour them through a fine sieve, pushing down on the solids, to make 625 ml (21 1/2 fl oz/2 1/2 cups) of juice.
2. Put the grape juice in a saucepan with 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) of water and the sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the liquid to a strong simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until slightly syrupy, skimming off any froth if necessary.
3. Remove the syrup from the heat and stir in the rosewater, if using, and allow to cool, you should have about 750 ml (26 fl oz/3 cups). Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, until chilled.
4. Very finely crush the ice cubes in an electric ice crusher or food processor. Alternatively, put them in a plastic bag and crush them with a mallet.
5. Working quickly, divide the finely crushed ice among six cones or serving glasses, pour approximately 125 ml (4 fl oz/1/2 cup) of the syrup into each one and serve immediately.