Roast lamb and chickpea salad
A recipe from the Good Food collection.
Have your say
- 300 g (10½ oz/1⅓ cups) dried chickpeas
- 2 kg (4 lb 8 oz) lamb shoulder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely sliced preserved lemon zest
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum (pepper), sliced
- 1 red bird's eye chilli, chopped
- 2 large handfuls parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
1. Put the chickpeas in a large bowl, cover with water and stand overnight. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
2. Drain the chickpeas, place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Cook on a high heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chickpeas are tender, then drain.
3. Meanwhile, place the lamb in a large roasting pan, rub with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until cooked as desired. Remove from the oven and stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Cut the lamb into large chunks.
4. To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake well. Combine the chickpeas, lamb, lemon, onion, capsicum, chilli, parsley and coriander in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine. Serve warm or cold.